We owe all things McWonderful to Maurice and Richard (“Mac” and “Dick”) McDonald who moved their father’s restaurant from Monrovia to San Bernardino in California in 1940. The restaurant was renamed McDonald’s Famous Barbecue and served over forty types of barbecued items – a big change from the menu we’ve come to know now. The brothers quickly realized that the majority of their profit came from selling hamburgers, so they closed their drive-in to establish a streamlined menu of solely hamburgers, cheeseburgers, french fries, shakes, soft drinks and apple pie (now, that sounds more familiar!). In order to assure maximum productivity and efficiency, Mac and Dick set up their kitchen like an assembly line which allowed them to churn out burger after burger in a short amount of time. In the name of efficiency, Mac and Dick changed their restaurant’s name to McDonald’s and reopened its doors officially on December 12 1948. In 1955, businessman Ray Kroc joined the company as a franchise agent and subsequently purchased the chain from the McDonald’s brothers, much to their dismay, as brothers and Kroc feuded over control of the business and were eventually compelled to hand it over to the aggressive and savvy businessman who oversaw its worldwide growth.
The well-known McDonald’s logo with the golden arches and white block text was developed in 1968 and remained in use until 2006. Some McDonald’s restaurants still use this logo today out of nostalgia.
Today, McDonald’s is the world’s largest chain of hamburger fast food restaurants, serving approximately 68 million customers daily in 119 countries.